- Juvenile laws need to be changed, enacted and upheld to protect young children from being put in adult jails and prisons. The recent PREA Act is a step in the right direction, but how will it be implemented and how will accountability brought?
- Restorative Justice practices should be enacted on the forefront, and within the prison system nationwide.
- Prisons should be overseen by commissions, and communities need to be given access to prisons to bring necessary oversight and accountability.
- States need to be required to provide rehabilitation to all prisoners. Warehousing these people at the expense of taxpayers does not make our public any safer upon their release, nor does it help them become successful contributing citizens.
- We must find an appropriate way to care for the mentally ill and severe medically ill, and it is not within the prison system.
"Our lives begin to end the day we become silent about things that matter"